How to use Wikipedia by Abhsihek Suryawanshi , Director of Wikipedia SWASTHA
Check out the full session HERE
In a fast moving world like ours, where everything has to be quick and at the ease of a single click, content platforms such as Wikipedia and Youtube are making our life easier. They serve as our one stop solution to all our last minute research, then be it a simple college project or a last minute client meeting. It has offered us the "anytime, anywhere" learning experience altogether.
But as they say, it is just one side of the coin. We had the opportunity to learn the fundamentals of the world's biggest knowledge dissemination platform, which is Wikipedia.
The session was moderated by Mr. Abhishek Suryawanshi who is currently serving as the Director of Wikipedia SWASTHA, the Special Wikipedia Awareness Scheme for the Healthcare Affiliates.
The session was indeed very insightful with some very interesting questions that were being asked by the audience.
Here are a few key takeaways from the discussion:
- The entire content and knowledge disseminated on wikipedia is solely public generated. Moreover, there is no membership or sponsorship fee attached to it; It is completely free of cost.
- Anyone can edit or modify the content on wikipedia but based on the amount of credible information which has relevant sources by a particular person, he/she gets an opportunity to get promoted by wikipedia. For example, from editor to an approver.
- Wikipedia has a strict policy of approving the content which is published on their page. It shall be authorized by a third party and a credible source. Sources like media coverage can be eligible but only the prominent and reliable ones.
- If the article is aligned with the community guidelines of wikipedia, only then it is eligible for approval and posting.
- Any topic which is noteworthy of attention and is gaining popularity among the masses, along with notable awards and references can be posted on wikipedia
- Wikipedia acts as a great equalizer on the world wide web. It takes into account the information and data points which can be modified or changed by anyone. The information, hence, is not lopsided or biased.
To be a part of more such sessions, get yourself onboarded on www.womennovators.com. Know more on how to onboard yourself on womennovator